First game jitters - tips or advice?

Post anecdotes and stories about your games here. This forum is open for discussing any actual play discussions about any of John's games -- HotB, B&H, Enemy Gods, Byron Falls, Flux, Cat, Shotgun Diaries, etc..

Moderator: Snag

First game jitters - tips or advice?

Postby Mordaith » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:49 am

Hey folks, after months and months of planning, my group is getting ready to move from Burning Wheel and try out Houses of the Blooded. For some of us this is our first time dealing with anything related to the Ven, while for others our experience is limited to a few bits we retained from university.

My particular game is titled "The Shanri according to Tevos Run" and will obviously be based off the few of remaining documents from the Ven scholar Tevos Run. I am not sure if I'll actually include him as an NPC or if that may be a bit too much.

I don't want to come off as being pretentious.

Looking forward to running. Still a little grey on many of the rules. But I figure ease them in slow, start off something Simple like a request from their shared lord.
I get the impression that, beyond anything the PC's narrate, for me to tell any particular story arc, I need to make use of NPCS. NPCS and three true things.

Look forward to sharing our experiences with anyone who still is around.
Mordaith

Re: First game jitters - tips or advice?

Postby Mordaith » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:12 am

Game was Amazing.

Jury was called. Secret Twins were discovered. Obsession unearthed.
All before the players left the Countess's castle to train her daughter further in the art of the Sword.

Game ended with the mousy NPC daughter of the Countess casting off her garments, reveling a red garment under neath, pointing her pearl handed sword at the PC she is obsessed with and issuing a demand, "You are coming with me!"
This was right after the Trouble on one of the PC's farms, which initially looked like it was bandits sent by another PC, was some plot by the Countess's daughter.

I think outside of setting up the "Three True things" for four npc's the day before, I described the Countess's daughter issuing her demand to the PC Baron, farm fire and dead ven flesh smoldering in the back ground.

Thank you Mister Wick.
Mordaith

Re: First game jitters - tips or advice?

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:22 pm

That sounds like an awesome time was had! Keep the games going!!! :D
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Actual Play - Table Top